|Lemon Polenta Cake- gluten free and delicious|
The picture doesn't really do this cake justice, it is moist, crumbly and intensely lemony. Usually gluten-free food is dry and doesn't taste quite right, this cake however is an exception. Plus it makes your whole house smell like lemons while you bake it.
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g Polenta
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 lemons (juice and zest)
- 125g icing sugar
- Heat oven to 180 C
- Beat butter and sugar together
- Add almonds, polenta and baking power to the mixture. Then add the 3 eggs. Mix well until all the mixture has combined. It will be a brighter yellow than normal cake mix and have a slightly gritty texture (don't worry, it doesn't taste like grit)
- Add lemon zest
- Pour into a cake tin (you'll need a large one, it's a big cake). Bake for 30 mins. It will be a bit wobbly, but if you stick in a knife and it comes out mostly clean it's done.
- Keep the cake in the tin so the syrup doesn't run off.
- Make a syrup by boiling together the lemon juice and the icing sugar. It is ready when the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour on top of the cake and leave to set.