Monday 10 June 2013

F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby


It's been ages since I read The Great Gatsby, I intended to re-read before I saw the film, but haven't had the time. Baz Luhmann's adaptation is a visual treat, the costumes and set are beautiful, colourful and detailed. The opulence and glamour of the decade is perfectly captured.

 I read a new theory recently (sorry I can't remember where) that argued that Jay Gatsby was white passing, a light skinned African-American hiding his heritage by 'passing' for white. It's an intriguing theory, and would explain why Gatsby invents a history and is an outsider to high society, despite his wealth. It's a shame Luhmann didn't use this theory in his film, though it would probably be controversial. Lot easier to cast Leonardo Dicaprio as Gatsby, even though he has the annoying habit of saying 'old spore' instead of 'old sport'.         

No comments:

Post a Comment