Penguin Little Black Classics are 80 slim snippets of novels, collections of short stories, essays or poems all newly packaged and on sale for a mere 80p each. They have been released to celebrate the imprints 80th Birthday. Authors include Karl Marx (who is currently selling the best), Jane Austin, Edgar Allen Poe and Samuel Pepys. As they are 64 pages long, authors that some people might find intimating are made manageable.
As they're from Penguin they are beautifully, and simply designed. I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on them.
My top choices would be:
- A Pair of Silk Stockings, Kate Chopin
- Circles of Hell, Dante
- The Yellow Wallpaper, Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- Woman Much Missed, Thomas Hardy
- The Fall of Icarus, Ovid
- Anthem for Doomed Youth, Wilfred Owen
- Gobin Market, Christina Rossetti
- Come Close, Sappho
- The Saga of Gunnlaug Serpent Tongue
- Wailing Ghosts, Pu Songling
*hint hint* it's my birthday next month