Friday 30 August 2013

Home of Charles Darwin- Down House

black and white, skulls, mantelpiece, Charles Darwin, Down House, visit, English Heritage

To make the most of the sunny back holiday earlier this week, we took a trip over to Down House, former home of Charles Darwin. It was here that he wrote 'On the Origin of the Species' and  where he collected specimens in the extensive grounds.
Down House, Origin of a Species, Charles Darwin, English Heritage, visit
Down House

greenhouse, Down House, Charles Darwin, flowers, visit, English Heritage

flowers, wall, Down House, Charles Darwin, English Heritage

There was an informative exhibition on the life and work of Darwin, including a first edition of 'On the Origin of the Species', which is undoubtedly rare and expensive.

The inside of the house was furnished to look like how it would have been when Darwin and his family where living there. I was very jealous of the wooden slide that used to be put over the stairs for the children's entertainment.
book stand, books, sitting room, Down House, Charles Darwin, visit
I liked this book stand, I'm going try and convince my Dad to knock me one up (and a stair-slide) 

traditional games , skittles, soldiers, Down House, Charles Darwin
There are traditional games in the gardens 
The visit was slightly marred because Britain has been plagued by wasps recently, and most of them seem to be nesting in the grounds of Darwin's House. I'm terrified of wasps, so I didn't linger in the gardens and  I had to forgo a cream tea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment