This is not a cake to make if you're short of time, but as it's a bit time consuming and fiddly it makes it a real treat.
recipe after the cut:
350g clementines or satsumas (3-6 fruits)
6 large eggs
225g caster sugar
50g gluten free flour (or spelt flour)
1 tsp baking powder
200g ground almonds
nutella (to spread on top)
1. put the fruit in a pan, and cover with cold water. Simmer for 1 hour, then drain and leave cool. Half the fruit and remove any pips. Using a hand-held blender, purée the fruit (including peel).
2. preheat the oven to 190C
3. Using an electric mixer whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl, over hot water, until pale and mousse-like. This will take about 10 minutes- plus it's awkward and your arm will ache! Take it off the heat.
4. Sift in the flour and baking powder. Then add the almonds, polenta and puréed fruit. Fold in gently until evenly mixed.
5. Transfer to a cake tin (its recommended that you use a 22cm square cake tin, but I didn't have one) bake for 25-30 mins.
6. Once cool, spread on nutella (this is optional and possibly not gluten free?) you could dust on some icing sugar instead.