Sunday 31 August 2014

what I've read this month (August)

Poor show this month, I've not read as much as I usually do (see 'a year in book' to see what I've read so far).


Here's my reading list:-
  1. Lionel Shriver, Big Brother 
  2. Robert Gailbraith, The Silkworm (J.K Rowling)
  3. Haruki Murakami, Tsukuri Tasaki and His Years of Pilgrimage 
  4. Toni Morrison, Beloved
  5. Stephanie Meyer, Eclipse (re-read. Ashamed of this one- but it was on telly) 
  6. Samuel Selvon, The Lonely Londoners  
(click on the book title to follow the link)
This month's highlight was Big Brother a controversial and confrontational novel about obesity. Toni Morrison's Beloved also comes highly recommended, and J.K is really beginning to hit her stride with post-Harry Potter novels.  

I need to get round to reviewing The Lonely Londoners has I think it is probably over-looked as a book. I hadn't heard of it until I spotted my sister's boyfriend reading it. It's all about the experiences of a group of men emigrating to Britain from the Caribbean in the late 40s early 50s and it's really rather good.    

No comments:

Post a Comment