Friday 31 October 2014

what I've read this month (October)

Here's my monthly round-up:-
  1. Robin Hobb, Assassin's Quest 
  2. Jessie Burton, The Miniaturist
  3. Jeff VanderMeer, Annihilation 
  4. Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself
  5. Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind 
  6. James Dashner, The Maze Runner
  7. Robin Hobb, Fool's Errand 
  8. Emma Healy, Elizabeth is missing 
  9. Sarah Waters, The Paying Guests 

I've read a fair bit of fantasy this month, 4 out of the 9. Fool's Errand was the best of the bunch, to see my review of the first book of the series see here. I'm a bit wary of reviewing the books individually, as it will contain a lot of spoilers and I'm thinking it will be probably be best if I hold of and review the series in its entirety once I'm done. 

Two of my list could be regarded as science fiction, Annihilation and The Maze Runner, and I was frankly unimpressed with both of them. 

The Paying Guests and The Miniaturist are both accomplished novels. They are historical fiction, with The Paying Guests set in London in the 1920s and The Miniaturist  is set in Holland in 1686. 

The absolute highlight of this month was Elizabeth is Missing. It is just outstanding, I was profoundly moved throughout. It is just one of those books that you want to share with everyone, I strongly urge you to read it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment