If you are gluten intolerant ground almonds are my top tip for successful cake making.
Don't be put off by the long ingredients list, it is simple to make
- 100g cooking chocolate (Dr Oetker, dark is gluten-free)
- 100g margarine
- 60 ml cold water with diluted elderflower cordial
- 40g plain flour (doves gluten free)
- 45g ground almonds
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 15g coco powder
- 1/2 tablespoon xantham gum
- 1/4 tablespoon bicarbonate soda
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 25ml almond milk or soya milk
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
if you wanted added gluttony- chocolate spread and icing sugar to decorate the top.
1. Preheat oven 160 degrees
2. On the hob, heat the almond milk in pan with the lemon juice. Stir continuously until the milk begins to thicken and curdle. Take off the heat, and place to one side.
3. Melt chocolate and margarine in bowl over boiling water. Pour in the diluted cordial, add the eggs and curdled milk.
4. In a separate bowl mix in the flour, ground almonds, sugars, coco powder, xantham gum and bicarb.
5. Now stir the wet and dry ingredients together and pour into a cake tin.
6. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 mins, you may need to cover it with tin foil to prevent the top from burning.
I accidentally scoffed a quarter of this cake in about 10mins- it's really very good!