Monday 30 June 2014

what I've read this month (June)



Halfway through the year now, and I don't think I've made much headway on my new year reading resolutions. Oops. On the plus side, here's what I have read this month:

Click to see the my review.
  1. Wesley Chu The lives of Tao
  2. Kate Manning The Notorious Life of Madame X
  3. Joanne Harris, The Gospel of Loki 
  4. Holly Black, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown 
  5. Ryu Murakami, From the Fatherland, with Love 
  6. Dubravka Ugresic, Baba Yaga Laid an Egg
  7. Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
  8. Octavia E. Butler, Kindred  
  9. Glyn Iliffe, Adventures of Odysseus: King of Ithaca 
  10. Patrick Ness, Siobhan Dowd, illustrated Jim Kay, A Monster Calls 
  11. Patricia Ferguson, The Midwife's Daughter

It's difficult to decide what my favourite book is this month, I've read some really good ones. It's a close call between My Notorious Life by Madame X and Kindred, but I think Octavia E. Butler just scrapes the win with Kindred. It's a novel that I know is going to stay with me, as it is just so emotionally raw. If you're looking for some historical fiction, either of these books would suit you. Both deal with harrowing topics, backstreet abortion and slavery receptively. 

If you're interested more in mythology, I'd have no hesitation recommending The Gospel of Loki and Baba Yaga Laid an Egg. The first is a fantastic, chatty introduction to Norse legends and the second is inspired by Slavic folktales.    


No comments:

Post a Comment