Monday 5 January 2015

library haul

Although I've currently got heaps of unread books on my shelves, I really didn't fancy reading any of them. Instead, I picked up an old faithful Song of Achilles, which is one of my favourite books of all time. 

To get me out of a reading slump I took a trip to my local library and gathered the following:-

library haul, book stack, currently reading, UK book blog, pile of books, literature


1. Chuck Palahniuk, Dammed 
Palahniuk is the the king of hipsters, personally I find him a bit hit and miss. Some of his books I was really impressed by, others I think are controversial for the sake of it. I'm not easily offended, but his choice of language can go to far, the last book I read of his, Invisible Monsters, for example was unpleasantly transphobic.  

2. Warren Fitzgerald, The Go-Away Bird
Never underestimate the importance of an attractive front-cover, it's the main reason I picked this up. It's about the friendship between two troubled, vulnerable children, Clementine born in Rwanda and Ashley born in London,

2. Vikas Swarup, Q&A
Slumdog Millionaire is on of my favourite films, so I thought it was time I read the original story the film is adapted from. Guaranteed weepy I reckon.

3. Steven Saylor, Roma 
I've been watching Marco Polo of netflix and it has given me a craving to read some swords and sandals trash. I'm not expecting great things from this book, but think it's be the perfect easy reading after a hard day at work. 

4. Tom Rob Smith, Child 44
Like above, I picked this up as I'm predicting it will be unchallenging. It is a crime/detective novel set in Soviet Russia, I had a quick flick through when I got home and it appears to have something to do with kidnapping children to eat (???!!!), so I might actually give this one a miss. 

What do you think of my haul? If there's anything on your reading list you'd like to share, please leave a comment below or send me an email.   

No comments:

Post a Comment