Thursday 31 July 2014

what I've read this month (July)

Here's what I've read this month (click to see full review)
  1. Max Barry, Lexicon
  2. Graham Joyce, Some Kind of Fairy Tale 
  3. Octavia Butler, Mind of My Mind 
  4. Octavia Butler, Clay's Ark
  5. Elizabeth Haynes, Into the Darkest Corner  
  6. Helene Wecker, The Golem and the Djinni
  7. Nnedi Okorafor, Who Fear's Death 
  8. Margaret Atwood, The Robber Bride (re-read)
  9. Janet Mock, Redefining Realness (non-fiction, autobiography)
  10. Octavia Butler, Patternmaster
  11. George R.R Martin, A Feast for Crows (re-read)
stack of books, reviews, list, photo, pile of books, paperback, spines,

I'm pleased I've managed to review all of July's books with the exception of one. It has been a concerted effort though, as I realised earlier in the month I'd been a bit lax with doing reviews. 

The stand-out book for me was Elizabeth Haynes' Into the Darkest Corner it was completely gripping, even though it did make me feel anxious. It totally deserved to win Amazon's book of the year in 2011. Best read with all the lights on, or perhaps by the poolside, Into the Darkness Corner is a tense crime thriller. 

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor is another notable book for this month. I've written a ridiculously long review on this science-fiction novel, so all I'm going to say is if your a fan of the genre add this to your reading list. 

Redefining Realness has been the most educational book I've read this year. It is a truly brave and important autobiography that should be read not just by trans people but everyone.   

stack of books, reviews, list, photo, pile of books, paperback, spines,

I did two re-reads this month, The Robber Bride and A Feast for Crows. Margaret Atwood is queen of my heart and I'm obsessed with George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (#teamTyrion)  

For a full list and links for every book I've reviewed ever, see here 

No comments:

Post a Comment